Homicide detectives in murder of Uber driver talk about an abundance of evidence that led to arrest – WPXI


MONROEVILLE, Pa. — Only Channel 11 sat down with three Allegheny County homicide detectives who have been assigned to investigate the death of Christina Spicuzza.

According to detectives, the amount of evidence they had in his case was “essential” to solving his murder.

Spicuzza’s body was found in a wooded area of ​​Monroeville. She was a mother of four children and an Uber driver.

Spicuzza had a gunshot wound to the head and was wearing a face mask.

“In my mind, if someone is still wearing their COVID mask, they are surrounded by people they are not comfortable with. It definitely gave us a direction to think and look at,” Detective Greg Renko told Channel 11.

Spicuzza had no ID on her, not even a cell phone. Thanks to her tattoos, homicide detectives were able to determine that she was the woman whose fiancé had reported her missing two nights earlier.

The night she disappeared, she was working as an Uber driver.

“She’s a woman found in the woods, we don’t have much going for us right now,” Detective Kevin McCue said.

Also, detectives were already late because two days had passed between when she disappeared and when she was found.

“They always say ‘first 48.’ If you get [the case] in the first 48 you get a good lead, nine times out of 10 we can solve it,” added McCue.

That wasn’t the case here, but the homicide detectives were closing in.

Spicuzza’s car showed up parked in Pitcairn, but two items were still missing. Her cell phone and a dash cam that her fiancé had bought her were nowhere to be found.

Then came the first of two big breaks. A man randomly found a cell phone in Braddock and turned it over to police.

Turns out it was Spicuzza’s phone.

“Some people don’t think something that small can open the case, but it can. It really helped us and we finally found where Christina was and the route she took with her phone,” McCue said.

Because she had enabled her location services on her cell phone, detectives could see where she had been that night. They were also able to see that his latest filing request was for an abandoned house in the East Hills. Also, thanks to Uber and cell phone records, detectives were eventually able to trace his passenger to a man named Calvin Crew.

“You get that little break, and you reinvigorate a little bit more, and you want to keep going,” McCue added.

Then the next break. After detectives repeatedly scoured the area of ​​the abandoned house, they found Spicuzza’s car dash cam.

“We found what we were looking for for days. We found the evidence that was so crucial to Christina and to getting Calvin Crew,” Renko said.

However, looking at what was on that video – Spicuzza begging for her life and saying she’s a mother of four – is something homicide detectives will likely never forget.

“Unfortunately, we know the outcome. We see it. You know she tried. She tried to reason with him and plead his humanity. It’s heartbreaking to know what the outcome is,” Detective Laurie McKeel said.

After days of barely seeing their own families, searching every lead and sifting through every piece of evidence, a week after Spicuzza disappeared, detectives finally had Calvin Crew handcuffed.

“We came home, and it was a downpour. I will never forget that. It was a direct downpour. We came back and took off the wet jackets, and the three of us had this moment of sigh of relief,” Renko added.


Comments are closed.